Shaking and moving...


I'm a Bartender since 1995. In Germany was where I start shaking, in a summer job that last six months. Big summer, ha! Then moved back to my hometown, Lisbon-Portugal. And I started working at nightclubs. Lisbon was considered the worlds nightlife capital in the 90's, was crazy. After three years, love took me to Brazil and the shaking kept going at a nightclub in Sao Paulo. In the year 2000, When the love was over after to many caipirinhas, I bought my ticket to Miami and started shaking with the salsa ritmo, hay, hay, hay... Very hot, believe me. Yes, the music and the dancing, together with the mojitos, made me shake like never before. After some nightclubs I worked in fine dining, where my high-end cocktails shined and my passion for wine began. Eight years in Miami were great and I did the South Beach Bartending School where all the Big Boys, celebrity Bartenders are instructors. And many wine seminars, courses and the most fun part, wine tastings. Was a great experience. I got some new moves and shakes and at the same time a refined taste for wine. Well, New York was the next stop. Meatpacking District and then at Financial District, were the places where I had my NY experience for almost two years. Then I found love again and a transfer to Washington D.C. was necessary.



What can I say? I'm very passionate...


Generated image




Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Liquid Deserts

This are among the best tasting cocktails you'll prepare. Most often ordered after dinner or late in the evening. They have excellent customer appeal, usually sell at high profit margins and are normally low in alcohol potency, all good commercial attributes.

The base ingredient in almost all of these drinks is half&half cream, preferred because whole fresh cream is to sweet and heavy and milk will produce too thin a drink. Some recipes call for ice cream as a base ingredient, resulting in a kind of alcohol milkshake. To make any cream drink an ice cream drink, substitute one or two scoops of vanilla ice cream for the half&half.

Cream drinks will be ordered and prepared in one of three ways: Straight up, on the rocks, or blended, and this choice will decide the use of which type of glassware.

When these cocktails are ordered straight up, you will use either a traditional hand mixing set or a blender. Either method will produce a frothy mixture that is served strained into a chilled cocktail glass.

When a cream drink is ordered on the rocks, it is mixed as above and then strained into a snifter or house specialty glass filled with ice.

All the recipes in this category can be prepared blended or frozen, and will be often be ordered that way. This technique uses a commercial grade home-style blender and an amount of ice equal to the liquid ingredients. If ice cream is substitute for half&half, the ice is omitted. The result is a thick and creamy milkshake drink, many of which become house signatures drinks because they are attractive and delicious.

The taste and potency of these recipes can be changed by decreasing the portion of half&half from 2 ounces to 1 ½ ounces, and increase each liquor or liqueur portion from ½ oz to ¾ oz.

Usually house policy will dictate the portioning of this drinks.

 
Tiramisu Martini

2 oz Vanilla vodka
½ oz Kahlua
½ oz frangelico
½ oz Bailey's

Shake vigorously and carefully strain into the martini glass.
Sprinkle with cinnamon powder on top

For more of Liquid Deserts:

"The Ultimate Bartender" - Complete Guide


By The Shaker

No comments:

Post a Comment