Shaking and moving...


I'm a Bartender since 1995. In Germany was where I start shaking, in a summer job that last six months. Big summer, ha! Then moved back to my hometown, Lisbon-Portugal. And I started working at nightclubs. Lisbon was considered the worlds nightlife capital in the 90's, was crazy. After three years, love took me to Brazil and the shaking kept going at a nightclub in Sao Paulo. In the year 2000, When the love was over after to many caipirinhas, I bought my ticket to Miami and started shaking with the salsa ritmo, hay, hay, hay... Very hot, believe me. Yes, the music and the dancing, together with the mojitos, made me shake like never before. After some nightclubs I worked in fine dining, where my high-end cocktails shined and my passion for wine began. Eight years in Miami were great and I did the South Beach Bartending School where all the Big Boys, celebrity Bartenders are instructors. And many wine seminars, courses and the most fun part, wine tastings. Was a great experience. I got some new moves and shakes and at the same time a refined taste for wine. Well, New York was the next stop. Meatpacking District and then at Financial District, were the places where I had my NY experience for almost two years. Then I found love again and a transfer to Washington D.C. was necessary.



What can I say? I'm very passionate...


Generated image




Saturday, June 26, 2010

Caipirinha, oska, issima...

In my years in Brazil, Caipirinha was the drink of selection, the everyday's bread. In the hot tropical summers in the beautiful beaches of the Sao Paulo litoral, Caipirinha was always  present, being part of every conversation, smile, laugh... It was more like a friend...

With Cachaca, liquor  made of sugarcane. Caipirinha is the most popular alcoholic beverage in Brazil. The national cocktail, is a culture icon.

Caipirinha is the diminutive version of the word "caipira", which refers to someone from the countryside. But she's not alone. Caipirinha has two twin sisters, also beautiful, but with different personalities.

Caipiroska splits the attention with her older sister "Inha". "Oska" is a bit more classy, more reserved, but still likes to party, alot... Caipiroska is made with vodka, instead of cachaca.

The younger sister is "Issima". Hard to be seen around, "Issima" is more reclusive. Only shows up in special ocasions. But when it does, shines bright as her sisters... Caipirissima is made with rum.

The Shaker likes Velho Barreiro (Cachaca), but there are many others that goes well. Just try to use premium liquor in every drink you make.

Caipirinha

2 1/2 oz. Cachaca
4 to 6 lime wedges
2 tsp of sugar


In a low ball glass muddle the limes with the sugar to get the juice. Use crushed ice before. Pour the cachaca on the top of the ice and stir well. If you have a shaker, better.

Well, Then use your imagination and be creative. There are many fruit variations of Caipirinha.
The Shaker loves Passion Fruit Caipirinha. Is the same procedure, but only the fruit changes...

Go wild and discover a new world of magic and flavours.

from strawberries to acai berries, pineapple, guava, kiwi... Yes, it's all good and I like it...




Tales and thoughts of a Bartender...

by Lusitano

Please, fell free to comment and foward this article to friends.


Pure Brazil: Caipirinha    Maria Caipirinha



No comments:

Post a Comment