Shaking and moving...


I'm a Bartender since 1995. In Germany was where I start shaking, in a summer job that last six months. Big summer, ha! Then moved back to my hometown, Lisbon-Portugal. And I started working at nightclubs. Lisbon was considered the worlds nightlife capital in the 90's, was crazy. After three years, love took me to Brazil and the shaking kept going at a nightclub in Sao Paulo. In the year 2000, When the love was over after to many caipirinhas, I bought my ticket to Miami and started shaking with the salsa ritmo, hay, hay, hay... Very hot, believe me. Yes, the music and the dancing, together with the mojitos, made me shake like never before. After some nightclubs I worked in fine dining, where my high-end cocktails shined and my passion for wine began. Eight years in Miami were great and I did the South Beach Bartending School where all the Big Boys, celebrity Bartenders are instructors. And many wine seminars, courses and the most fun part, wine tastings. Was a great experience. I got some new moves and shakes and at the same time a refined taste for wine. Well, New York was the next stop. Meatpacking District and then at Financial District, were the places where I had my NY experience for almost two years. Then I found love again and a transfer to Washington D.C. was necessary.



What can I say? I'm very passionate...


Generated image




Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Scotch Whiskey

Whiskey has been made in Scotland since th late 1500's. It is distilled from barley wich is allowed to germinate, or malt. The grain is dried in kiln over a peat smoke, which will added to the whiskey. There are three basic types od Scotch whiskey: malt, grain and blended.

Malt Scotch whiskey is full bodied, full flavored, 10 to 12 years old, with a distinctive, smokey, peaty taste. The majority are called "single malts", straight, unblended whiskeys from a single distillery. Most single malts come from the Highlands of Scotland, although fine malt Scotch is also produced on the islands of Islay, Skye and in Campbelton in the Lowlands.

Grain Scotch whiskey is a light bodied scotch whiskey distilled in a continuous still from cereal grains and produced almost entirely in the Lowlands of Scotland. While occasionally marketed straight, this whiskey is most frequently used in the blending of other Scotch whiskeys.

Blended Scotch whiskeys are the majority. They are combinations of grain and malt whiskeys blended to a unique and secret recipe. The difference between various blended Scotches comes from the proportion and quality of the products used.

Whiskey has been produced in Scotland for hundreds of years. The Gaelic "usquebaugh", meaning "Water of Life", phonetically became "usky" and then "whisky" in English


According to the Scotch Whiskey Association, no one knows exactly when the art of distilling was first practised in Scotland; it is known that the Ancient Celts practised distilling, and that the liquid they produced.  known in ancient Gaelic as uisge beatha ("water of life") — evolved into Scotch Whisky. By the 11th century distillation first occurred in Scotland in the early Christian monastic sites.


Whiskey: The Definitive World GuideThe Whiskey Companion: A Connoisseur's Guide to the World's Finest WhiskiesThe Art of Distilling Whiskey and Other Spirits: An Enthusiast's Guide to the Artisan Distilling of Potent Potables

No comments:

Post a Comment