Shaking and moving...


I'm a Bartender since 1995. In Germany was where I start shaking, in a summer job that last six months. Big summer, ha! Then moved back to my hometown, Lisbon-Portugal. And I started working at nightclubs. Lisbon was considered the worlds nightlife capital in the 90's, was crazy. After three years, love took me to Brazil and the shaking kept going at a nightclub in Sao Paulo. In the year 2000, When the love was over after to many caipirinhas, I bought my ticket to Miami and started shaking with the salsa ritmo, hay, hay, hay... Very hot, believe me. Yes, the music and the dancing, together with the mojitos, made me shake like never before. After some nightclubs I worked in fine dining, where my high-end cocktails shined and my passion for wine began. Eight years in Miami were great and I did the South Beach Bartending School where all the Big Boys, celebrity Bartenders are instructors. And many wine seminars, courses and the most fun part, wine tastings. Was a great experience. I got some new moves and shakes and at the same time a refined taste for wine. Well, New York was the next stop. Meatpacking District and then at Financial District, were the places where I had my NY experience for almost two years. Then I found love again and a transfer to Washington D.C. was necessary.



What can I say? I'm very passionate...


Generated image




Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pinot Grigio Vs. Pinot Gris

Pinot Grigio is light, very crisp, dry white.

A mutation of Pinot Noir, which it resembles in the field, Pinot Grigio is the Italian white wine most recognized by American wine consumers. It is most prominent in Alto-Adige, Veneto and especially Friuli, where the finest examples are made in the Collio area. Italians pick the fruit early as it has a tendency to drop acidity when it ripens fully.


Pale, straw-yellow or very light copper in color with a bright and flowery fragrance. Firm acidity gives Pinot Grigio a mouth watering appeal. Generally offers nice mid-palate balance with a short, clean finish.
 
A perfect aperitivo/cocktail wine, Pinot Grigio's crispness primes the palate for food. It pairs well with all seafood, whether raw, lightly sauteed, grilled or lightly sauced with cream or butter. Avoid the acid clashes with citrus fruit and tomatoes.
 
 
Pinot Gris (Tokay d'Alsace), renamed to Pinot gris due to EU regulations.

A major grape in Alsace, grown on 13.9% of the region's vineyard surface in 2006, the Pinot gris wine produced here are markedly different from Pinot gris found elsewhere. The cool climate of Alsace and warm volcanic soils are particularly well suited for Pinot gris, with its dry autumns allowing plenty of time for the grapes to hang on the vines, often resulting in wines of very powerful flavours.

A full-bodied, deep-colored white grape, Pinot Gris has fairly subtle flavors of honey, smoke and spice.


Pinot Gris (Oregon) is one of the most popular white wines in America today.


Of the New World regions, Oregon is where Pinot Gris expresses at it's best.

Willamette Valley, has taken Pinot Gris as one of it's signature white wines. The wines have bright fruit flavours with restrained minerality.

Pinot Gris ripens slowly in the long mild summers of Oregon, often allowing the grape to reach perfect ripeness.


The level of acidity of this grape is medium to high. Alto Adige's Pinot Grigio can have some of the highest acidity levels of the world. The alcohol in this grape is not usually high.

Alsace and Oregon Pinot Gris are medium to full body, while Italian's Pinot Grigio are much lighter. The more common thing between them is that they are dry to very dry.


Wines of the World

No comments:

Post a Comment